Frequently Asked Questions
For individuals asking ‘What now?’ and ‘How do I get there?’ in their careers and lives, CareerCycles helps. We help you clarify what you want, generate and prioritize possibilities, and explore those priority possibilities so you can make a great career and life choice. At CareerCycles, our Associate Career Professionals help you in every aspect of your career, from developing your career for the future, to fine tuning your applications, resumes, and interview skills.
CareerCycles was founded by Mark Franklin who created the recognized CareerCycles method of practice with which he has helped 3500+ clients, and trained over 100 career counsellors to use in their practices. We have been chosen as the career firm for the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers, Ontario Medical Association, and University of Toronto Alumni Association, and other leading associations.
12 more reasons to choose CareerCycles:
- Holistic Solutions – We take a human perspective, a unique whole-life view of career transition and career self-management.
- Clients trust us… and say great things about their experience.
- People friendly approach – We engage clients in meaningful conversations about their career and life choices. Clients tell us they enjoy this more than traditional assessments
- Diversity – With over 10 years of experience, we’ve worked successfully with thousands of clients from 80+ countries of origin representing diverse talents, cultures, orientations and personalities.
- Narrative Method of Practice – grounded in current research and thinking
- Inspiring framework – makes it easy for clients to see where they are and where they’re going.
- Caring Career Professional Associates– Our Associates have relevant degrees and experience and are committed to life-long learning and development.
- Breadth of expertise & experience – We are friends with thought leaders and professionals of all kinds; providing unique and fresh perspectives that optimize results.
- People not products – We respect our clients’ time and investment as if it were our own and judge ourselves by the success of our clients and by surpassing their expectations.
- Innovative and inspiration – We’ve created breakthrough approaches to the career management / transition industry by introducing a distinctive model that challenges conventions and inspires proactive change.
- Community service – International perspective & leadership. We’ve been leading enriching travel programs to Nicaragua, Cuba, and here at home in Ontario.
- People Potential & ROI – In our capable hands, you or your employees and transitional employees experience a human approach. We are able to offer unsurpassed service with a focus on flexible, personalized solutions – maximizing potential and bottom-line results.
How can I get started?
Many clients begin with an initial consultation with practice leader, Mark Franklin. This is a 50 minute session that can be done in-person, by phone or via Skype (contact Jennifer Mackey, Client Service & Office Manager at 1-844-465-9222 for information).
What programs do you offer?
- Career Tools Tune-up – If you’re job searching, be more effective with a fine tuned resume or improved interview skills. Together we will strategize on new and traditional career tools: resume, interview, LinkedIn profile, bio, special reports and more.
- Becoming Empowered in Your Career and Life – With proven, effective, client-focused tools we will help you identify your wants and desires and match them with past experiences and current interests to focus on the career that suits your strengths best and that will lead to satisfaction and happiness in life.
- Ready to Return to the World of Work – Are you: a professional or manager who wants to return to the world of work, in early career, and want the benefit of a proven approach, a newcomer to Canada wanting to improve their career situation or asking: ‘How can I be more effective in my job search and career exploration? Learn strategies to make the career exploration process easier and more effective and evaluate career possibilities relative to who you are – your desires, strengths, personal qualities, and assets. You will return ready.
- Early Career – You have some experience; working, traveling, studying or volunteering. You may know now what you don’t want in your career and life, and you’re ready to zero in on what you do want. Your parents may want to check this out and support you.
- Career Check-Up – One’s career naturally goes through cycles of stability and change, and needs periodic attention. A check-up will likely lead to better career experiences and outcomes as many careers can be improved without changing one’s job. A regular checkup prevents problems that might otherwise occur.
What other services does CareerCycles offer?
Our interest is in all facets of career management, including: Career Engagement Program for managers, leaders and all staff, fresh thinking Outplacement Solutions, Customized Career Management Programs & Services for Professional, Trade and Alumni Associations, Career Empowerment for Post-Secondary Education, bringing inspiring career messages through speaking engagements and Who You Are Matters!-Our life clarification game.
Who can benefit from CareerCycles services?
Wherever you are in the world, and whether you’re presently employed or in transition, and whether your starting point is a work situation, career choice, or life situation, CareerCycles can help. We have successfully worked with:
- professionals, managers, directors, VPs, individual contributors, in technology, health care, education, communications, financial services, I.T. and many others
- people in early-career wanting to take the next step forward with confidence
- later-career professionals, baby boomers, seeking to clarify next steps or life focus for “retirement” years
- stay-at-home mothers and fathers seeking to re-establish themselves back in the world of work
- a diversity of clients, and internationally educated professionals, engineers, health care, lawyers, dentists, pharmacists, and others from over 80 countries of origin
- alumni including MBAs and advanced degree holders from masters and doctoral programs
Do you use career tests and assessments?
We’ve created breakthrough approaches to the tired career management / transition industry by introducing a distinctive model that challenges conventions and inspires proactive change. We engage clients in meaningful conversations about their career and life choices. Our narrative based framework mines people’s stories to gather and organize relevant information for career & life clarification. Clients tell us they enjoy this approach more than traditional assessment approaches.
Why can’t I do this on my own?
In the turbulent 21st century, the career landscape is more changeable than ever, and more than ever, individuals need internal clarity and an effective and easy way to communicate that clarity with others. We also need to develop increased levels of what Fred Luthans calls psychological capital (knowing who we are). CareerCycles Associates have been fine tuning a narrative method of practice to distil what matters from what happened to guide clients toward the creation of their unique Career Statement. Our clients become empowered to articulate their strengths and career aspirations clearly and confidently.
Where do sessions take place?
All sessions including the initial consultation are one-on-one and can be by telephone or Skype, or face to face at one of our Toronto locations.
How long do your programs take?
The initial “Exploratory Consultation is 45min, our flagship program; “Becoming Empowered in Your Career and Life” is at least 8.75 hrs over 2-3 months. “Ready to Return to the World of Work” and “Early Career” are 5 hrs over 5-10 weeks, and “Career Check-Up” and “Career Tools Tune-Up” are 2.5 hours over 2 sessions (with option to add more sessions if needed)
Is my personal information shared?
How is CareerCycles different from a recruiting company?
We are a career management social enterprise concerned with helping you make career and life choices. Once we have helped you clarify your career and life desires, strengths and possibilities, we help you explore the priority possibilities with strategies, new approaches and career tools including resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and bios. While we are not a recruiting company or employment agency, working with us can help you work with them in more focused and intentional manner.
Will I experience significant change upon completion?
Yes, many clients experience changes, sometimes in their career, sometimes in their lives, sometimes both; some stay put with a new perspective or mindset, understanding that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
Whether or not you make a change right away, clients feel empowered by our inspiring processes and life changing tools, in that they can name their desires and strengths. Our
Career Statement is an empowering tool, which sparks change.
What is involved in an initial consultation?
- A 50-minute face-to-face, telephone or Skype consultation with practice leader, Mark Franklin
- Initial “Career Sketch” with at least three components that are part of your unique career wellbeing, and that starts you thinking in a new way — right away — about your career and life
- Hand-picked inspiring career story (MP3 audio interview)
- Recommendation of a specific career program tailored to your situation (if needed and desired)
- A full credit of the consultation ($87 plus taxes) will be put toward any of our career programs (excluding 2-session programs)
What about fees and how do I pay?
Get started for free with weekly teleworkshop, or begin with an Exploratory Consultation and the fee of $87 is credited to your program of 5 or more sessions. Programs are tailored to your situation and start at $295.
We can be flexible in our payment arrangement, offering no-interest payment plans, if this will help you get into the career that fits you better.
Will you help me find a job?
For some clients, the result is a change that leads them to self employment, or back to school, or even a change in geography. For those who do want to look for a job, we can help you find the next job in your career path. Since we aren’t paid by companies to find people, we will honestly assess your abilities and needs and we will give you unbiased, valuable advice. We help our clients find work faster and with less stress.